RSS Follow Become a Fan

Urge Surfing
Worry is a Choice
powered by

Wellness Pearl Blog

Escape the Willpower Trap

Escape the Willpower Trap
There is a dramatic difference between knowing and doing. We all have places that we may be stuck. There may be something in our lives that we know we want to change; yet we don't. A major reason we often fail is that we succumb to the willpower trap. Lasting change often fails because we rely on willpower, yet what we really need is skill. We all have unseen, powerful behavioral bullies that influence us and we are blind to these saboteurs. Behavioral bullies do not have one root cause, they can come from many sources, such as pervasive marketing practices, toxic communities, or life-limiting habits that include avoiding difficult conversations, boredom, stress, and lack of purpose, all of which impact mood and don't support the life we want.

One way to overcome these bullies is to identify our critical moments. For some people it may be sugar, others staying in a toxic relationship. In a moment of weakness, we are pulled to the destructive behavior that we don't want to be doing. Rather than rely on willpower, the key is to first identify our unique critical moments, to root out and quarantine the behavioral bullies, and then to develop a combat plan (skills) to entirely prevent or overcome those moments.

A client with whom I am working was stuck in an emotional nighttime eating pattern; she realized she was not eating enough calories in the daytime AND she was eating junk food to alleviate (unsuccessfully) negative feelings from her highly critical boss. She kept her gaze firmly on what was driving the destructive behavior. Once she identified this critical moment and the invisible bullies that were sabotaging her, she had a courageous conversation with her boss and ate more quality calories during the day. Putting the behavioral bullies under a spotlight helped her move very quickly toward her goals. If you are making a change in your life, beware of the willpower trap.

Yours In Great Health,

Eileen T. O'Grady PhD RN, NP
Nurse Practitioner and Wellness Coach

28 Comments to Escape the Willpower Trap:

Comments RSS
replica louis vuitton bags on Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:58 PM
I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend.

jacksmith941 on Sunday, December 02, 2012 2:41 AM
Impressive post!! definitely that is a awesome description. i am too happy to read this post!! you are great. carry on....

sbobet on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:22 AM
This site is a website that deals with the story of many people who came to receive good information

cheap car insurance on Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:17 AM
I am really thankful for the stuff you've provided here. It is nice to know that there are still some useful websites left on the internet because the majority of them are totally useless!

GT-I9070 on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:04 AM
its a lovely web site ,i would like it , I am glad that you simply shared this helpful information with us. iwill be back soon.

sailboat charter on Monday, March 11, 2013 6:52 AM
Hey, Your idea really good!! It's really time able as well as superlative post!! I was taken a little hit tips from in your comments. Gooooooooood job.........Carry on.........

sbobet on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:21 AM

sand blasting machines on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:30 AM
I found lots of interesting information here. The post was professionally written and I feel like the author has extensive knowledge in this subject.

edu policies on Friday, March 29, 2013 4:15 AM
Sometimes it is so hard to find good and useful posts out there when doing research. Now I will send it to my colleagues as well. Thank you for being one of them.

panasonic fax machine on Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:16 PM
Thank You! I have to tell you one thing keep giving good information like this.

red bottom shoes on Friday, May 24, 2013 4:04 AM
Business of any size and type need proper marketing strategies and methods to make its product or service popular and increase presence in the eyes of the customer. In just a few hours you will be visible to millions of potential customers. You can also turn in design requirements, that will be successfully drawn up by our own design team, along with work with them further in arriving at the final design for the labels. There are several leading forklift dealers that sell used forklifts to customers. Design your Business Calendar The moment you decide to go with the cost effective business calendar to advertise your business, you must find out the best ways how you can accomplish your task. So, you will have to know the towing capacity of your truck. You must be in a position to feel if the clay is picking up the tree sap as you work it over the surface. However, one can expect to get a good deal out of these schemes provided one has good knowledge of the working of such systems.

cheap christian louboutin on Friday, May 24, 2013 7:44 AM
For example: the 'talking' advertisement - an audio rendering of the print commercial for Vento a Volkswagen car. Once they look at those items, the company name becomes visible to the eyes. If you drive a pickup truck, then you might consider purchasing bed liners, truck racks, and toolboxes. Do not be concerned as the very hot radiator will begin to burn the bugs and it'll leave only little pieces. Trade shows gives the opportunity to reveal your products and explain your services face-to-face to the potential customers. Some customers who have issues with their engine might also request from the dealership a remanufactured one to replace their damaged transmission. It's true that insurance coverage is an expense all business owners can do without. Be sure how the online store provides spare parts to your car or truck.

Jeremy Scott Wings Ballerine on Friday, May 24, 2013 9:14 AM
com and was authored by an industry professional with decades of experience painting cars. Apart from selling and buying products and services, you can also make use of personal classifieds to your benefit. Choosing The Best Tractors Do you want to promote your business by putting poster graphics outside your retail outlet? Are you all set to grab instant attention of passersby and increase your regular sales? Then get an external white board that will be suitable for outdoor use due to its fascinating features. You can try out calling up a few of the cellphone figures on the website.

www.garciniacambogiaoz.org on Monday, May 27, 2013 2:30 AM
That’s absolutely true. There are many things in our life which we know are not good for our life and wrong, but we are not ready to change such things. That is the difference between knowing and doing. Doing is what matters.

www.tagarrestreview.com on Monday, May 27, 2013 3:24 AM
Yeah,it is so true that there lies a big difference between knowing and doing. And we try to change the things that we wish to change, but at last we may not succeed in that, and thus it goes on like that. Identifying our critical moments, to a limit will help us to overcome this. Expecting more thoughts from you. Regards

snapback hats on Saturday, June 01, 2013 1:17 AM
Hey there, You've performed a great job. I'll definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends.I'm confident they'll be benefited from this site.

www.garciniareviews.org on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:13 AM
Knowing is a common thing. Most of the people know about the things, but only few people do it. Doing is difficult for most of the guys, and the people who show the courage to do things achieves great things in their life.

Replica Ebel watches on Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:03 PM
Thanks for your publication; wild style. Many thanks sharing your article.

Lipozene on Friday, June 14, 2013 1:15 AM
Online reading is not my thing. But after reading your blog I am really pleased. I don’t know about other blogs but this I will definitely keep coming back to.

Lipozene on Friday, June 14, 2013 1:15 AM
I am going to subscribe, so I can learn more. I can't wait to receive updates through e-mail.

Lipozene Reviews on Friday, June 14, 2013 3:45 PM
I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your approaching updates

underbust corset bustiers on Saturday, June 15, 2013 4:23 PM
I like this article, written in very good, praise! Thanks!

shot blasting machine on Monday, June 17, 2013 7:16 AM
Nice Job, Thanks for sharing This one.!!

Lipozene on Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:22 AM
I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.

buy youtube views on Monday, August 05, 2013 4:00 PM
What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what you're trying to say.

armani watches uk on sale on Monday, August 19, 2013 5:28 AM
it is really a outstanding blog.

www.jouercasino777.eu on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:09 AM
read in one breath. These words, this text was very motivating for me.

personal business letter on Monday, November 04, 2013 7:50 AM
It was certainly interesting for me to read article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to Read more on that blog soon.Thanks