Dr. Eileen O’Grady’s Resources, Evidence Base and Favorites
Aspen: Ideas to Go Big Ideas that will open your mind
The Moth: True Stories Told Live
Magic Lessons: On Getting the Creative UNSTUCK
TED Talks and Other Videos
- Dan Goleman on FOCUS: The Secret to High Performance and Fulfillment
- John O’Dohohue on Being
- John O’Donohue on Beauty and Landscape
- Interview with David Whyte on Conversations and Leadership
- BJ Miller: TED Talk on Whats Important
- Janette Khan: TED Talk on Simple Innovations
- Brene Brown Extended Interview on Bravery and Authenticity
- TD Jakes on Owning Your Own Happiness
- George Vaillant: TED Talk on Human Development
- Clayton Christianson: TED Talk on Success
- Seth Godin: TED Talk on Broken
- Benjamin Zander: TED Talk on Music
- Peter Attia, MD: TED Talk on fighting the wrong health war
- Peter Attia MD, on carbohydrates, performance and weight
- Evolutionary Biologist Daniel Lieberman interview on stone age diets and adaptability
- Eric Westman, MD @ Duke University and President of American Society of Bariatric Physicians
- Mary Vernon, MD. President of American Society of Bariatric Physicians
- How BAD do you WANT it? (to cultivate focus)
- Brene Brown: The Call to Courage
- Valley Uprising (see first) then, Free Solo
- Three Identical Strangers
- Lipstick and Liquor
- If You’re Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast
- The Magic Pill
- Defining Hope
- Shane McGonkey
- The Perfect Human Diet
- In Defense of Food
- Got the Facts on Milk? The Milk Documentary
- Happy. The Movie
- Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
- Fed Up
- Misery Loves Comedy
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi
- Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work
- Man on Wire
- The Search for General Tso
- Allen, David. (2015). Getting Things Done : The Art of Stress-Free Productivity. Penguin Books.
- Arloski, M. (2009). Wellness Coaching for Lasting Lifestyle Change. Whole Person Associates
- Baumeister, R. & Tierney, J. (2011). Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength. Penguin Press.
- Brach, Tara. (2003). Radical Acceptance. Bantom Books.
- Brown, Brene. (2017). Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone. Random House.
- Brown, Brene. (2012). Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. Gotham Books.
- Brown, B. ( 2010). The Gifts of Imperfection. Hazeldon.
- Buettner, Dan.(2009). The Blue Zones. National Geographic Society. www.bluezones.com
- Chodron, P. (2009). Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears. Shambhala Publications.
- Chodron, P. (2001). Start Where You are: A Guide to Compassionate Living. Shambhala Publications
- Csikzentmihalyi, Mihaly. (1991). Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Harper-Perennial.
- Dweck, C. (2006). Mindset: How We Can Lean to Fulfill our Potential. Random House
- Fairburn, C. (2013). Overcoming Binge Eating. 2nd ed. Guilford Press.
- Garvey-Berger, Jennifer (2012). Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World. Stanford Business Books.
- Goleman, D. (2013). Focus. Harper Publishers.
- Gorman, S. & Gorman, R. (2017). Denying to the Grave: Why We Ignore the Facts that Will Save Us. Oxford University Press.
- Gowdat, Mo. (2018). Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy,. North Star Way.
- Hicks. D. (2011). Dignity: Its Essential Role in Resolving Conflict. Yale University Press.
- Holiday, Ryan (2016). Ego is the Enemy. Penguin
- Holiday, Ryan ( 2014). The Obstacle is the Way. Penguin
- Halvorson, H. (2012). Succeed: How we can Reach our Goals. A Plume Book.
- James, A. (2012). A**holes: A Theory. Anchor Books.
- Kegan, R. & Lahey, L. (2009). Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and your Organization. Harvard Business Review Press.
- May, Michelle. (2005). Am I Hungry? Nourish Publishing.
- Norcross, J. (2013). Changeology. Simon & Schuster
- Pillemer, K. (2011). 30 Lessons for Living: Tried and True Advice from the Wisest Americans. Hudson Street Press.
- Porath. C. (2016). Mastering Civility: A Manifesto for the Workplace. Grand Central Publishing.
- Roth, G. (2010). Women, Food and God. Scribner.
- Seligman, Martin. (2002). Authentic Happiness: Free Press
- Seligman, Martin. (2011). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being. Free Press.
- Siegel, D. (2010) Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation. Mind Your Brain, Inc.
- Taubes, Gary. (2011). Why we Get Fat and What to do About it. (2011) Knopf Publishers.
- Thaler, R. & Sunstein, C. ( 2009). Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness. Penguin Books.
- Tippett, Krista. (2016). Becoming Wise: An Inquiry into the Mystery and Art of Living. Penguin Press.
- The School of Life. (2017). The School of Life Dictionary: The Language of Emotional Intelligence. The School of Life.
- Wakeman, Cy. (2017). No Ego: How Leaders can cut the Cost of Workplace Drama, End Entitlement and Drive Big Results. St. Martin’s Press.
- Wesorick, Bonnie. (2016). Polarity Thinking in Healthcare. HRD Press, Inc.
- Whyte, D. (2009). The Three Marriages: Re-imagining Work, Self, and Relationship. Riverhead Books.
To assess core strengths
Authentic Happiness: Values in Action (VIA) Strengths Test at the University of Pennsylvania, Authentic Happiness/Positive Psychology Website. The test is free but you have to register on the website to take it and get your scores. It takes about 40 minutes .