I have been following the science on weight loss, been listening closely to the vegetarian and Paleo communities, and have coached/listened to scores of men and women through significant weight loss. Based on that, here is what I know to be true:
- First, Address what’s Eating Us: If processed food is being used to fill a void, dampen negative feelings or stress, then no eating plan will work and weight loss will remain illusory. Get in right relationship with food.
- Shut Down the Inner Critic: Each of us has the power to alter our mentality about how we eat and relate to our bodies. Our inner life and tone of our private dialogue changes our outer expression.
- Do the Two Things the Vegans and Paleos do agree on: Highly processed fluids and foods, made of flour, sugar and chemicals (fraNkenfoods) are causing the obesity epidemic. There is no one nutrition answer for all 7 billion of us but we all could benefit by 1) eliminating sugar and processed foods and 2) take in far more real food and green vegetables. Dump the Junk.
- Einstein’s Definition of Insanity Applies to Weight Loss/Fitness: If what you are doing is not getting you the results you want, try a different approach. Those of us that are metabolically broken respond extraordinarily well to lower carbohydrate intake as does shorter, more intense exercise intervals. Scarcity, hunger, deprivation or deeply dissatisfying meals will not work or fix ones relationship with food.
- Even the Moon has Body Image Issues: Some of the fittest people I know are dissatisfied with their body image. Poor body image is no longer just the condition of teenage girls. If you are dissatisfied with your body image, there are only 3 clear remedies:
- Address it and change the parts you can;
- Accept it and buy bigger jeans;
- Stay stuck in self-loathing, which is really boring and tiresome to the self and loved ones. Even the models we see in magazines wish they could look like their own image
“Where the senses fail us, reason must step in” Galileo