Eileen’s Resources/Evidence-Base/Favorites on Well-Being
Favorite Wellness Podcasts
70 Over 70 Make the most of the time we have left
No Stupid Questions with Angela Duckworth and Stephen Dubner
The Psychology Podcast with Scott Barry Kaufman
Interviews with Yuval Harari (Author of Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind)
Aspen: Ideas to Go Big Ideas that will open your mind
The Moth: True Stories Told Live
Magic Lessons: On Getting the Creative UNSTUCK
Parenting Courses that Will Change your Life (for the better)
Parent Encouragement Program (PEP Parent) Start with a course on discipline or encouragement. Courses based on Alfred Adler’s theory of giving kids a strong sense of belonging, competence and self-regulation.
Health Blogs I Read
Found My Fitness by Dr. Rhonda Patrick- A gifted communicator who distills research on depression, sleep, nutrition, and all things longevity-related.
SHORTform Key Insights from over 1,000 non-fiction books
Book notes by Derek Sivers. A remarkably thoughtful and personal key takeaways from hundreds of non-fiction books.
The Daily Stoic 2,500 Year old wisdom for our modern world.
Farnum Street Brain Food Beautiful summary of mental models to help us make better decisions.
Greater Good Science @ Berkeley A distillation of the evidence on positive psychology, wellbeing and how to make society better.
TED Talks and Other Videos
- Dan Goleman on FOCUS: The Secret to High Performance and Fulfillment
- John O’Dohohue on Being
- John O’Donohue on Beauty and Landscape
- Interview with David Whyte on Conversations and Leadership
- BJ Miller: TED Talk on Whats Important
- Janette Khan: TED Talk on Simple Innovations
- Brene Brown Extended Interview on Bravery and Authenticity
- TD Jakes on Owning Your Own Happiness
- George Vaillant: TED Talk on Human Development
- Clayton Christianson: TED Talk on Success
- Seth Godin: TED Talk on Broken
- Benjamin Zander: TED Talk on Music
- Peter Attia, MD: TED Talk on fighting the wrong health war
- Peter Attia MD, on carbohydrates, performance and weight
- Evolutionary Biologist Daniel Lieberman interview on stone age diets and adaptability
- Eric Westman, MD @ Duke University and President of American Society of Bariatric Physicians
- Mary Vernon, MD. President of American Society of Bariatric Physicians
- How BAD do you WANT it? (to cultivate focus)
- Atlas of the Heart
- College Behind Bars
- The Social Dilemma
- The Weight of Gold
- Wild Wild Country
- The Biggest Little Farm
- Kareem: Minority of One
- Brene Brown: The Call to Courage
- Valley Uprising (see first) then, Free Solo
- Three Identical Strangers
- Lipstick and Liquor
- If You’re Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast
- The Magic Pill
- Defining Hope
- The Gamechangers
- Shane McGonkey
- The Perfect Human Diet
- In Defense of Food
- Happy. The Movie
- Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
- Fed Up
- Misery Loves Comedy
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi
- Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work
- Man on Wire
- The Search for General Tso
Books (I have cut this down to those I cannot live without!)
- Allen, David. (2015). Getting Things Done : The Art of Stress-Free Productivity. Penguin Books.
- Arloski, M. (2009). Wellness Coaching for Lasting Lifestyle Change. Whole Person Associates
- Baumeister, R. & Tierney, J. (2011). Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength. Penguin Press.
- Berger, W. (2014). A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas. Bloomsbury.
- Brach, Tara. (2003). Radical Acceptance. Bantom Books.
- Brown, Brene, (2021) Atlas of the Heart. Random House.
- Brown, Brene. (2017). Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone. Random House.
- Brown, Brene. (2012). Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. Gotham Books.
- Brown, B. (2010). The Gifts of Imperfection. Hazeldon.
- Buettner, Dan.(2009). The Blue Zones. National Geographic Society. www.bluezones.com
- Chodron, P. (2009). Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears. Shambhala Publications.
- Chodron, P. (2001). Start Where You are: A Guide to Compassionate Living. Shambhala Publications
- Clear, J. (2018). Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones. Penguin Random House
- Csikzentmihalyi, Mihaly. (1991). Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Harper-Perennial.
- Doyle, G. (2020). Untamed. Penguin Ransom House. :
- Dweck, C. (2006). Mindset: How We Can Lean to Fulfill our Potential. Random House
- Fairburn, C. (2013). Overcoming Binge Eating. 2nd ed. Guilford Press.
- Garvey-Berger, Jennifer (2012). Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World. Stanford Business Books.
- Garvey-Berger, Jennifer (2019). Unlocking Leadership Mindtraps: How to Thrive in Complexity. Stanford University Press.
- Goleman, D. (2013). Focus. Harper Publishers.
- Gorman, S. & Gorman, R. (2017). Denying to the Grave: Why We Ignore the Facts that Will Save Us. Oxford University Press.
- Gowdat, Mo. (2018). Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy,. North Star Way.
- Hicks. D. (2011). Dignity: Its Essential Role in Resolving Conflict. Yale University Press.
- Holiday, Ryan (2016). Ego is the Enemy. Penguin
- Holiday, Ryan ( 2014). The Obstacle is the Way. Penguin
- Halvorson, H. (2012). Succeed: How we can Reach our Goals. A Plume Book.
- James, A. (2012). A**holes: A Theory. Anchor Books.
- Kegan, R. & Lahey, L. (2016). An Everyone Culture. Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization. Harvard Business Review Press.
- Kegan, R. & Lahey, L. (2009). Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and your Organization. Harvard Business Review Press.
- May, Michelle. (2005). Am I Hungry? Nourish Publishing.
- Norcross, J. (2013). Changeology. Simon & Schuster
- Pillemer, K. (2011). 30 Lessons for Living: Tried and True Advice from the Wisest Americans. Hudson Street Press.
- Porath. C. (2016). Mastering Civility: A Manifesto for the Workplace. Grand Central Publishing.
- Pressfield, S. (2002). The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win your Inner Creative Battles. Black Irish Entertainment.
- Roth, G. (2010). Women, Food and God. Scribner.
- Siegel, D. (2010). Mind-sight: The New Science of Personal Transformation. Mind Your Brain, Inc.
- Seligman, Martin. (2002). Authentic Happiness: Free Press
- Seligman, Martin. (2011). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being. Free Press.
- Siegel, D. (2010) Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation. Mind Your Brain, Inc.
- Taubes, Gary. (2011). Why we Get Fat and What to do About it. (2011) Knopf Publishers.
- Thaler, R. & Sunstein, C. ( 2009). Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness. Penguin Books.
- Tippett, Krista. (2016). Becoming Wise: An Inquiry into the Mystery and Art of Living. Penguin Press.
- The School of Life. (2017). The School of Life Dictionary: The Language of Emotional Intelligence. The School of Life.
- Trzeciak, S. & Mazzarelli, A. (2019). Compassionomics: The Revolutionary Scientific Evidence that Caring Makes a Difference. Struder Group LLC.
- Wakeman, Cy. (2017). No Ego: How Leaders can cut the Cost of Workplace Drama, End Entitlement and Drive Big Results. St. Martin’s Press.
- Wesorick, Bonnie. (2016). Polarity Thinking in Healthcare. HRD Press, Inc.
- Whyte, D. (2009). The Three Marriages: Re-imagining Work, Self, and Relationship. Riverhead Books.
Favorite Meditation Teacher and APP
Suggest experiment with the 30 -day daily guided meditation: Waking up with Sam Harris
To assess core strengths
Authentic Happiness: Values in Action (VIA) Strengths Test at the University of Pennsylvania, Authentic Happiness/Positive Psychology Website. The test is free but you have to register on the website to take it and get your scores. It takes about 40 minutes .